The secrets of work of the administrator of a fitness club are a kind of small nuances, understanding, implementation and realization of which significantly increases the efficiency of such specialist. Some of them are obvious, some need to be discovered with time or experience, but one way or another, they all depend on your proactivity. Once and forever admit that success or failure in your job lies solely with your area of responsibility and begin to study this article.
It often happens that a person, having got a job of the administrator of a fitness club, after some time loses interest to this profession, becomes unproductive and ultimately changes the fitness club or even leaves the industry. Why it happens? There can be many reasons. There’s no common language with management, conflicts with customers or employees, low earnings, and so on.
The secrets of the administrator’s work help to be a more efficient employee and thereby eliminate the possibility of conflicts with superiors, improve your communication skills and thereby avoid possible conflicts with clients or employees. Also they help to learn methods of influence, persuasion and argumentation to increase earnings and not only. These are some kind of small tips that are not spoken about during the administrator’s training courses and which you can learn about only from more experienced colleagues or by getting hard knocks from your own experience. However, I will share some secrets with you here.
TIP. This article is fourth in a series of articles about the work of a fitness club administrator. In addition, I also recommend to you to read the next articles “Who is a fitness club administrator”, “Profession of the administrator” and “How to become a fitness club administrator”.
Secrets of work of the administrator
- The qualities that an administrator should possess are charisma, charm and the ability to endear the client. Of course, this will not be told during the courses, however, from a psychological point of view, this is an incredibly powerful tool for influencing the client. Whoever says anything, but the first impression about a person forms literally within 10 seconds after the greeting. The smile, good mood and friendliness shown to the client often manage to win his heart before you even have time to open your mouth. It often happens that a client who feels that he is being taken care of is ready to buy anything just in cause of a feeling of gratitude.
- After you open your mouth, communication skills, the ability to argue and convince are used. The ability to endear the client (see the previous paragraph) will help to establish contact with him, and the ability to listen, analyze, offer and justify will help you to choose the most suitable option for a person to solve his problems. The more competently your speech is built and the better all the conversation moves are calculated, the easier it is for you to manage the situation. Literate speech + deep knowledge + ability to listen = result. Hence, you need to continually improve your speech and your skills of argumentation, influence and persuasion.
- In order for the administrator to be able to calculate in advance all the possible options for dialogue, I strongly recommend to you to write a script. A script is a certain algorithm, describing step by step: what you need to say, how to talk and when you need to speak, in order to give the client all the necessary amount of information on the one hand and on the other hand, to direct a dialogue to the main goal for the administrator – closing the deal. The script should also include objection handling and argumentation. However, remember that the script doesn’t need to be followed blindly. Using a script significantly increases the probability of closing a deal, because when you know beforehand all movements of your opponent, you know how to get them over.
Authority of the administrator
- In order to convey information about the goods or services to the client as fully and deeply as possible, the administrator must use them by himself. This is another obvious rule that allows you to conduct presentations of the fitness club as good as possible, thereby increasing your credibility in the eyes of the client. When he knows that the club’s employees use its services by themselves, this increases their value in his eyes, which means that he will be ready to pay for them. The club management almost always provides its employees with a full or partial discount on the use of its goods or services. The golden rule is to use by yourself the product or service that you are selling.
- Of course, the authority of a fitness club administrator is influenced by his experience. The more experience a person has, the better he’s familiar with how the mechanism for interacting with customers works, from establishing contact to closing a deal, that is, selling. Client is the same person as you and he always see or feel false. An administrator who says “now I’ll tell you everything”, and at the same time can’t connect two words between themselves, will immediately create a negative impression. Don’t try to show yourself as a know-it-all, especially if you just got a job. Also don’t tell the client “I don’t know”, say “I will clarify” and offer to call back or come up after the training.
- Another factor that enhances his credibility in the eyes of customers is attentiveness. This applies primarily to first and last names, as well as dates and events. This is another unspoken rule of interaction with clients. You can memorize, you can record this data, but the very fact that you are calling a client by name, raises his interest to you and increases your reputation. Clients know that there are a lot of them, and there are very few administrators, and when you show a person that you know him, you demonstrate that you distinguish him from the crowd. Customers really appreciate it. It’s very important to maintain a database of clients and keep there maximum information about them.
Reputation of the administrator
- An administrator can prove to be either a whole person, or spineless. Competition among administrators prompts a person either to show his character or to hide it. A beginner can be loaded with many unnecessary or meaningless duties that are outside his area of competence. The job description clearly spells out what the administrator should do and what he should not do. If the second or senior administrator or someone else forces you run for cigarettes to the store during business hours, you can safely refuse. Learn your job description and don’t be afraid to put people in their place.
- Forget about such thing as a bad mood at all. This state of mood doesn’t exist for the administrator. Each person has his own concerns and his own problems. The administrator is the face of the club, this is the first person that the client sees when entering the reception. If the administrator has no mood, he will most likely cause negative emotions among visitors, and if he starts to be rude to them, then this can generally serve as a reason for dismissal. Nobody cares that you have a loan debt, a headache, or a family problems. Learn to manage your emotions and always stay positive.
- Such a seemingly elementary thing as ignoring customers, digging in the smart phone or eating sandwiches at the workplace can also tarnish the administrator’s reputation. The visitor can be pushed away by the strong smell of cigarettes, bad breath, as well as elementary rudeness towards him. Selling club goods or services “under the counter” is strictly prohibited by both an employment contract and job description. You can sell any of your goods or the goods of trainers only with the prior permission of the management. In any situation, save face, be decent and be guided by the job description.
Earnings of the administrator
- As you know, the earnings of the administrator of a fitness club consist of a rate and a percentage of sales. The rate is a constant value and usually quite small, which means that the amount of your earnings is determined precisely by the number of main (membership) and additional sales (goods and services). As a rule, one person buys one membership. At the same time, this one person can buy many additional goods or services, whether it’s a tanning session, spa treatments, massage, water, coffee, gloves, a shaker, etc. Often, extra sales allows you to earn more than only sales of membership. Offer customers extra services and goods, because this increases your earnings.
- It’s no secret that fitness is a seasonal business. Earnings for an administrator are sales of goods or services to customers. When the flow of customers is continuous, the administrator earns a lot, when the flow decreases, incomes fall. Since you can’t influence seasonality, influence the frequency of sales. In the low season, when attendance drops, it’s necessary to actively promote additional goods or services. It’s also necessary to correctly distribute the number of short term and long term cards. If you sold an annual membership to a client, answer the question right away: how will you replenish the cash desk next month? Find a balance in sales of a short term and a long term membership.
- Most fitness clubs, if not all, have a so-called sales plan. This is the number of memberships that the administrator must sell per month. This plan has a lower limit, but has no upper limit. We are talking about the fact that the administrator must sell per month the number of memberships not less than it’s specified by the supervisor. And if he doesn’t reach this minimal point, he could be given a remark. The next month, if the situation repeats, he’s given a warning. If the sales plan is still not closed for the third month in a row, the administrator can be fired. Treat the plan not as an enemy, but perceive it as an incentive to be more active in your work.
Without working experience, it’s quite difficult for a future administrator to get a job right away in a prestigious fitness club. In fact, there’s nothing supernatural in this case, everything is completely logical. In premium class fitness clubs, the target audience is, as a rule, wealthy people with an income level above the average. Such customers don’t just want, but often require a special relation to them. A newbie who has just got a job and has a low level of professionalism, when sees the client, usually begins to get confused and talk nonsense. Thus, by his actions, he endangers the supervisor, who took the risk of hiring him. Be sure, that the client will not hesitate to make a complaint to the management, and it, in turn, at best will reprimand the administrator, at worst, dismiss him in accordance with applicable law. As a result, both the administrator and the manager of the club and the visitor will not benefit from this situation.
At a glance, everything looks quite simple. The aim of the job seeker of an administrator’s position is primarily to get into the industry. It’s absolutely fair to consider that it will be much easier to get into entry-level clubs, because sometimes they indicate in announcements that they consider even candidates without working experience. If you set a goal to grow and develop in the chosen field, try to get a job in a low-level or mid-range clubs, gain experience there and move on to more prestigious ones.
Anyway, the earnings of the administrator of a fitness club primarily depend on how much time he spends on education, learning and self-development. The learning process may have a beginning, but it certainly has no end. As I said in previous articles, for the industry, employer and customers, the specialist who’s constantly improving in his craft is always very valuable. Study at trainings, read specialized literature, attend conferences, watch lectures, listen to audio books and improve your skills level in every way, and then you can earn a lot more money in a mid-range club than your colleagues in the premium clubs.
Author – Felix Palmer