Secrets of success of a fitness trainer is actually a very small list of points, adhering to which, any, both a beginner and a skilled trainer, will certainly succeed in their profession. In this article, we will consider five components of success, which, by and large, don’t require significant financial expenses, and to a greater extent depend only on the desire of the trainer himself to develop in his craft. So, let’s begin.
Secrets of success of a fitness trainer
First of all, according to the established tradition, I remind you that this article is a logical continuation of a series of articles about the profession of a fitness trainer. For the most complete understanding of the topic, I also recommend you to familiarize yourself with the articles “Who is a fitness trainer“, “Job description of a fitness trainer“, “How to become a fitness trainer“, “Myths about the job of a fitness trainer“, “How to get a job fitness trainer“, “Job interview for a fitness trainer“, “How does a fitness trainer gets a client” and “Secrets of the job of a fitness trainer“. Now let’s continue.
- Self-taught trainers. Often they are either scolded or admired. Most often, people scold mediocre trainers for their disregarding attitude to the job, and admire those trainers who help people and raise the interest of the general public to a healthy lifestyle. A self-taught trainer is respected only if he’s an enthusiast in his field, if he grows as a specialist, learns all the time and shares his knowledge with people. Such trainers often start their own blog, have a YouTube channel and communicate through their pages on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with their fans and subscribers. For a self-taught person, the first secret of success of a fitness trainer is to be totally dedicated to the job and love this craft.
- The trainer must develop. A serious trainer is an enthusiast in his field. Learning as a process has a beginning but has no end. If you want to become an expert in your craft, you should definitely attend various industry conventions, seminars and conferences. At the same time, in order to become an expert, you don’t need to take courses, pass exams and receive diplomas. That is, we return to the previous point about self-taught trainers who expand their knowledge base entirely on their own. Those who do too little with their education are the first to drop out of the game in a competitive environment. This is the second secret of success of a fitness trainer.
- The trainer has to train. This common truth is dictated to him by the industry itself, with which he decided to associate his professional activity. A person who broadcasts the concept of a healthy lifestyle must be an example to follow for their clients. It’s not at all necessary to weigh 100 kg and look like a hulk, but at least you need to have a fit body. This is just as important as setting the right example in training, nutrition, recovery, discipline, and overall lifestyle. The third secret of success of a fitness trainer lies in working on your own body. The process of its improvement, as well as with mental development, must be continuous.
- The qualities of a professional fitness trainer are charisma, positivity, energy, the ability to competently build a speech to win over people. Anyone can master these skills, so if you don’t have them from the start, it doesn’t threaten your career at all. It is important to work on yourself, communicate, get acquainted with people and expand the range of interests. A friendly, open, smiling and educated person is always a good interlocutor. He has a priori more chances to attract clients to him for personal trainings. The fourth secret of success of a fitness trainer lies in the need to develop soft skills – communication, influence, persuasion, etc.
- The trainer must be able to sell. I emphasize the word “must”. The specificity of any fitness club is such that a person who buys a membership gets access to the use of the equipment, which means that he can train on his own. And often, clients’ actions in the gym look funny, frightening, and sometimes even traumatic. Your task is to help the person, approach him and offer your services. But this must be done competently and consistently, otherwise he will say “thanks, I don’t need your help”, which means that you will not make money on him. And if 10 people say “thanks, I don’t need your help”, then you won’t earn anything at all. Therefore, the fifth secret of success of a fitness trainer is to develop and improve your sales skills.
Secrets of success of a fitness trainer listed above are available to everyone. They don’t require significant financial expenses at all, but only require a systematic application of efforts. In any business, the most difficult thing is to start, however, once you start, you will experience less discomfort and more enjoyment over time. The best investment is investment in yourself, in your health and your education. When your client sees that you are developing and your professionalism is growing, he understands why your services are worth exactly as much as you ask for them. And you, in turn, with the growth of your professionalism, can raise the cost of your services and, accordingly, earn more.
Felix Palmer – author of the blog crusfit.com