How to earn by selling goods? Well, literally, any person, both entrepreneur and self-employed, can make money by selling goods. Selling goods is the fundamental and oldest way of earning money, available to anyone, regardless of gender, age, religion, and Saturn’s location relative to Jupiter. It is also logical that any specialist in his field of activity can earn by selling goods, even if he is a doctor, teacher, firefighter, or fitness trainer. Whoever you are, you can create the product yourself, hire people to craft it, or find some unique already existing product that you can make money on. How to do it? Let’s figure it out.
In our case, under goods (products) we understand any tangible form of value. If you want to make money by selling goods, you must follow the following four rules:
1) You must make yourself or find a specific, material, tangible product that many people will definitely need;
2) You must make or purchase several units of this product at the lowest possible cost with the highest available quality;
3) You must sell as many units of this product as possible to as many people as possible at the most affordable price;
4) You must keep a stock of goods sufficient so as not to delay or postpone sales due to shortages or absences.
TIP. This material is a logical addition to the series of articles: “Why do people visit a fitness club“, “How does a fitness trainer earn“, “Which way does a fitness trainer earn“, “How much does a fitness trainer earn” and “Top-5 tips for a fitness trainer”, which I strongly recommend that you also familiarize yourself.
How to earn by selling goods
In previous articles, I have already listed some of the most popular products that a fitness trainer can make money on. These are information products, clothing, stationery, bijouterie, and more. In this article, this list will be expanded and supplemented with descriptions. By the way, as I said above, no matter what you do, no one forbids you to do the same, as I will describe it here, with only one amendment for the field of activity in which you work or that is of interest to you. Take examples for note, modify them, supplement and adjust for yourself, for your interests and, most importantly, for the interests of potential customers.
- Food. Whether you are in the fitness, medical, or food service industry, you can create your own brand of healthy, delicious, and/or wholesome food. Create a menu for meat-eaters, vegans, gaining weight, losing weight, and so on. Prepare breakfasts, lunches, dinners, first and second courses, desserts, snacks, cookies, and more. Cook at home, find recipes on the Internet, order packaging there, create a website as needed, launch groups in social media, order advertising, and arrange delivery. All this is within the power of one person.
- Clothing. You can either find someone who will sew things for you, or you can find a workshop and order tailoring, or you can find already sewn, ready-to-sell clothes from wholesalers. Look for materials with the best value for money. Come up with your clothing brand, name, or logo and put it on your clothing. It can be pants, shorts, T-shirts, caps, socks, whatever. Buy things in bulk, put your logo on them with thermal printing or embroidery and start making money by selling goods.
- Equipment. There are a lot of fitness club visitors who use special athletic equipment that you can make yourself. Most often these are sports backpacks and bags, as well as athletic belts, gloves, straps, shoulder straps, bandages, tapes, including shoes – sneakers, or weightlifting shoes. Just as in the previous example, you can either make the product yourself (which will be more expensive), or buy a ready-made, non-branded one, put your initials, logo, or inscription on it and sell (which is cheaper).
- Infoproducts. Each of you is a unique bearer of experience and knowledge. This means that if you are an expert in some area, you can pack your expertise into a specific product and, in fact, earn money by selling goods (informational). Most often these are educational materials of various kinds. It can be a book in print, electronic, or audio. It can be a video-recorded training course and more. You can distribute your product both on physical media and on Internet platforms.
- Polygraphy. Perhaps the most inexpensive thing you can create and sell yourself is a variety of printed materials. It includes calendars, notebooks, diaries, bookmarks, posters, stickers, envelopes, folders, and more. You can create or order a personal corporate identity for the covers and apply your brand to it, or you can take ready-made templates and also mark them with your trademark. You can experiment not only with the cover but also with the content and even with the method of applying the logo. You can print in b/w and in color, you can order a print run, you can draw by hand, you can emboss, etc.
- Stationery. Along with printing materials, office supplies such as pens, pencils, erasers, drawing sets, rulers, pencil cases, duct tape and more are also very popular. Of course, it is not possible to make something like this at home, which means that you just have to order the service of applying your brand to this product and start making money by selling goods. It seems that these are trifles, but this kind of product is well suited for additional sales to your customers.
- Bijouterie. You can make a variety of hand-made products. These include metal or rubber bracelets, army tokens, medallions, chains, beads, in short, anything that can be worn around the neck, wrist, or fingers. Again, you can either buy ready-made products to then modify them in your corporate identity, or you can buy parts, spare parts, or other small accessories from which the products will then be made. However, you may need special tools for this.
- Souvenirs. One of the most popular ways to earn money by selling goods is to make unique souvenirs. Here we include cups, watches, umbrellas, magnets, flags, key chains, phone cases, mousepads, and much, much more, up to balloons with your logo. Souvenirs can be positioned both as the main product for sale and as a tool for upselling. Look for a printing house with the best prices for making souvenirs, order them and sell them to customers.
TIP. As you may have noticed, literally every item requires you to have your own brand. The fact is that the “no-name” product is not exclusive. In order for you to sell the most ordinary cap that costs $2 for $10, you need to create additional value for the client. And the best thing you can and should do is create your own brand (aka a trademark, aka a logo) and apply it to your product. Thus, the “no-name” cap becomes a brand name cap.
You have just learned how to earn by selling goods. This process can be called mechanical since it fits into specific algorithms of actions. The main principle of selling goods is that their selling price must exceed the cost of production. I already wrote about how much it should exceed this cost at the beginning – the price should be acceptable for your local market. This is something that does not depend on you, namely, the population size, average income level, the general level of prosperity in the region, as well as in the country as a whole and not only. But what depends on you is marketing activities, namely, how you will promote your product to the masses. Make the most of all the advantages of the Internet, social media, and messengers and start earning.
Felix Palmer – author of the blog crusfit.com